BLACK BUSINESS MONTH: 31 DAYS TO CELEBRATE AND SUPPORT BLACK-OWNED BUSINESSES
August is the 15th Annual Black Business Month. Celebrate and support businesses in the Delmar Loop.
There are close to 30 Black-owned businesses in the Delmar Loop. Businesses range from services to retail sales to restaurants and professional services. In the Delmar Loop, we honor and support Black-owned businesses daily. This month we are spotlighting their contributions to our community and to the St. Louis region.
DID YOU KNOW?
• Dr. Laurie Punch, founder of Stop The Bleed/The T in St. Louis, was most recently honored as The Stellar Performer Award at the 20th Annual Salute to Excellence in Health Care Awards from the St. Louis American Foundation. Dr. Punch was also named Visionary of the Year by St. Louis Magazine’s A-List Awards.
• Cortez Burnett, owner of Krab Kingz, brought the first Krab Kingz to St. Louis.
• Tameka Stigers, owner of Locs of Glory, was named the 2019 Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Minority Small Business of the Year winner. She was one of only 9 honorees in the Eastern Missouri! And, she was invited to the White House as a result of the recognition.
• Saint Louis Story Stitchers received a $25,000 grant from The Lewis Prize for Music’s COVID-19 Community Response Fund! New funding for Saint Louis Story Stitchers will support holistic music education programs during COVID-19.
• St. Louis ArtWorks’ teaching artist Tia Bible joined the call of creating face shields for healthcare workers in St. Louis. She worked non-stop at her home, using the Artemis 3-D 300 Printer loaned to her by St. Louis ArtWorks after the organization temporarily closed its doors following the state and local government’s order in March. The 3-D Printer, which was purchased by St. Louis ArtWorks, prints two components of the mask in less than 3 hours, which equal up 50 face shields a week. The group’s goal was to complete 300 for BJC.
• A high percentage of Black-owned businesses in the Delmar Loop are Black-Women-Owned! This is the highest growing sector of the Small Business Industry.
• Of Note: The St. Louis Walk of Fame honors notable people from St. Louis, Missouri, who made contributions to the culture of the United States. All inductees were either born in the Greater St. Louis area or spent their formative or creative years there. Close to 50 of the 150 Walk of Fame Stars honor Black St. Louisians.
List of Black-owned businesses in the Delmar Loop:
JUST CHICKEN (2014)
5942 Delmar 726-3303 justchickenstl.com
Fresh, hot, and tasty. We cater too!
KRAB KINGZ (2018)
(314) 390-2004 krabkingzdelmar.com
The best seafood In St. Louis
PALOMINO LOUNGE (2019)
5876 Delmar 361-3099 palominolounge.com
Legendary spot that serves only the most discerning.
PRIME 55 RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE (2019)
6100 Delmar 553-9595
American Cuisine with a touch of Creole favorites as well as vegetarian and vegan options.
SUGAR MOMMA’S TRADITIONAL TREATS (2016)
6016 Delmar 449-1390
Personalized homemade cakes, #1 caramel cake.
BABES BOUTIQUE (2019)
6378 Delmar 537-1357
Check out one of the newest boutiques In the Loop
IVY GRACE BOUTIQUE
6277 Delmar 282-7541
Clothing boutique built on fashion, fun and philanthropy
MAINE CHIC BOUTIQUE (2019)
6360 Delmar 875-0280
Clothing boutique selling the latest fashions
POSH SHOE BAR (2018)
6193 Delmar 261-4092
Elegant women’s shoe store offering a variety of shoes for all occasions
SIMPLY FLAWLESS HAIRTIQUE (2019)
STREETSTYLEZ BOUTIQUE (2018)
Fashionable clothing for men, women and children
STOP THE BLEED STL (The T) (2019)
Trauma and first aid training
ST. LOUIS STORY STITCHERS ARTISTS COLLECTIVE (2015)
616 N. Skinker 889-9001 storystitchers.org
Urban storytellers advancing civic pride through art.
ATLANTIS DAY SPA
5984 Delmar 369-0631 atlantisdayspa.business.site
BK DENTAL (2000)
5989 Delmar 725-1555
General Dentistry Services
BODY GENIE STL (2019)
5856 Delmar, B
CLARITY SALON & SPA (2015)
6267 Delmar 339-5700
Cuts, styles, waxing, pedicures, manicures, and facials
COCKTAILZ: A BEAUTY BAR (2013)
6150 Delmar 863-6950
Full makeup beauty services, manicures, nail art, apparel & accessories.
5850 Delmar (573) 777-8787
Enterprise-level solutions and technologies for every agency and brand
ELEVATED LEARNING ACADEMY (2019)
5878 Delmar 667-9006
FAVAH 101 SALON (2016)
5860 Delmar 833-3395
FLAT OUT SALON (2012)
5874 Delmar 306-3390
FREEDOM BRAILLE WRITER (2019)
6267 Delmar 395-7097
Promoting Independence, inclusion & awareness to the visually challenged & St. Louis
LOCS OF GLORY SALON (2015)
5886 Delmar 265-5790
It’s not just a hairstyle, it’s a lifestyle. Salon, retail and spa services
NATURAL M’S BEAUTY SALON (2016)
5860 Delmar 546-5734
STUDIO POSH HAIR SALON (2008)
5856 Delmar 454-9999
Hair salon services
TAYLER-MADE BARBERSHOP (2007)
5888 Delmar 361-1114